AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering people 50 and older to choose how they live as they age. With a nationwide presence, AARP strengthens communities and advocates for what matters most to the more than 100 million Americans 50-plus and their families: health security, financial stability and personal fulfillment. AARP also produces the nation's largest circulation publications: AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
AARP's Policy, Research and International Affairs leads the development and communication of AARP's public policies and, research and insights on the issues that matter to people 50-plus.
The Business Operations Specialist within Research Operations plays a pivotal role in the smooth, efficient functioning of financial and operational systems with AARP Research. Primary responsibilities include finance and budget tracking, contract review and processing, and conducting detailed quality control reviews of both business and research products. In addition, this position supports the creation and implementation of processes and procedures that minimize the administrative burden on Research staff. The Business Operations Analyst must have proven experience in financial analysis and accounting, strong attention to detail, and a passion for meticulously adhering to processes and upholding quality standards. Proficiency with Microsoft Excel is also desired. The successful candidate will have strong organizational and time management skills, will project a professional image and demeanor, and will demonstrate an ability to work independently.
- Provides administrative-level support to internal clients on a variety of group- or organization-wide projects, programs, processes, and business initiatives. Liaises with other teams in order to execute on tasks. Serves as central point of contact for all business processes across the department, managing support activities as needed.
- Supports the business and financial operations processes for internal clients, including but not limited to the procure to pay processes and documentation, the tracking of invoices and payment processes, the preparation and/or tracking of budgets and reports, and the preparation and/or tracking of lobbying information.
- Provides excellent customer assistance. Researches, resolves, identifies and/or clarifies issues for internal/external customers. Uses programs and databases to track responses and identifies issues and recommends process improvements.
- Analyzes current business processes and develops, tests, and implements improvement initiatives and documents. Maintains/provides accurate documentation and acts as an expert on organization policies and procedures. Coordinates records management and documents adherence to policies and compliance requirements.
- Conducts research, analyzes data, and develops, manages, and distributes ad-hoc and scheduled reports.
- Coordinates financial, procurement, and contract management activities for departmental projects. Manages a variety of financial functions such as invoice coding and approval and expense reconciliation.
- Facilitates the coordination of project management, metrics, and operations across the departments in close collaboration with team members and department leads.
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in Business Operations/Administration, Finance/Accounting, Operations Management, or Business Analytics, or a related field with at least 4 years of relevant experience.
- Excel expert with advanced knowledge of Excel's built-in functions, proficient in creating complex formulas for diverse calculations, automating processes, and manipulating data. Additionally, experience utilizing Excel macros to streamline workflows, automate repetitive tasks, and enhance efficiency.
- Demonstrated expertise in finance and accounting, including a comprehensive understanding of financial principles, practices, and regulations. Proven ability to manage budgets, develop financial forecasts, interpret and analyze financial statements, and generate detailed and accurate financial reports for stakeholders.
- Meticulous attention to detail, consistently observing, reviewing, and scrutinizing all aspects of products, tasks, projects, or processes, regardless of their perceived significance, to identify and rectify errors, inconsistencies, and opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking abilities, enabling the successful navigation of complex problems and informed decision-making based on data and logical reasoning.
AARP will not sponsor an employment visa for this position at this time.
- Regular and reliable job attendance
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibit respect and understanding of others to maintain professional relationships
- Independent judgement in evaluation options to make sound decisions
- In office/open office environment with the ability to work effectively surrounded by moderate noise
Flexible Work Arrangement (FWA)
AARP observes Mondays and Fridays as telecommuting workdays, except for essential functions. Remote work and telecommuting can only be done within the United States and its territories.
Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401(k); 100% company-funded pension plan; health, dental, and vision plans; life insurance; paid time off to include company and individual holidays, vacation, sick, caregiving, and parental leave; performance-based and peer-based recognition; tuition reimbursement; among others.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.